What movie are you most excited for this fall/winter?

Friday, December 30, 2011

Cowboys & Aliens

P57

3/5 stars
The first 5 minutes or so of the film was one of the coolest and most engaging movie experiences of the year for me, but unfortunately this movie was all down hill from there. It's not that I didn't give it a fighting chance, it actually had quite a bit going for it as far as me liking it.
First off it was a Western and anyone who knows me knows how fond I am of westerns. Secondly it stars Daniel Craig, an actor I am particularly keen of these days. Those first two things were reasons enough but there was even more going for it than that: Harrison Ford, Sam Rockwell, Paul Dano, and Jon Favreau directing.
Craig was fine and Ford seemed bored (though I did enjoy seeing him as a villain). Rockwell and Dano were both fun, other than the Western motifs they were probably my favourite part.
How to fix this movie?
In my opinion stick to the first five minutes. Leave it gritty. Get rid of Olivia Wilde's character, by far the worst parts of the film were every scene involving her, though in her defense I will say that I don't think it would have mattered who played that character. Make it R rated and (if possible) get rid of the aliens.
I wouldn't say don't see it, just don't expect too much and you will probably at least have fun,

Posted via email from Film Harbour

No comments:

Post a Comment