What movie are you most excited for this fall/winter?

Friday, August 5, 2011

Quick Hits

Grave of the Fireflies 4/5

One time I was watching the movie Up with a group of people that included a couple of children. After the opening montage was over, and most of the viewers were teary-eyed, one of the moms said, "What kind of a kids movie is this?"

For a long time (since 1986) Studio Ghibli has been making what I refer to as "animated films", not just "kids movies".

This was only the second film to be produced be Studio Ghibli (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, ect) and it was directed by Isao Takahata. It is about a boy and his little sister in Japan during WWII. It is certainly not a happy movie, though it is filled with many touching moments. One of the things I like best about this film. other than the relationship of the brother and sister, is the simplicity of the film and the life of its inhabitants. It is definitely and anti-war film and Ebert lauds it as such here: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20000319/REVIEWS08/3190301/1023

 

The Matrix 4/5, The Matrix Reloaded 4/5, The Matrix Revolutions 3.5/5

I don't have anything new or insightful to offer about this trilogy, but I will defend my liking of the second one. Or rather I will let Ebert do it for me, he actually gave Reloaded a better rating than the original: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030514/REVIEWS/305140301/1023

 

The Company Men 2.5/5

I was excited about this movie because of the cast, and because I thought it was going to explore the concept of self-worth outside of your job. While it did touch on it I thought it could have done a much better job. There were a number of times in this film where I was excited about where (I thought) it was going, what (I thought) was going to happen, or what (I thought) certain characters were going to say, but for whatever reason it always seemed, to me, to stop short. It could have been much better if it had gone deeper and committed but in the end it left me saying, "Meh."

 

Posted via email from Film Harbour

No comments:

Post a Comment