What movie are you most excited for this fall/winter?

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Westie's Favourite Films of 2010 (1-5)

These were the hardest for me this year. These could all be at any different spot in the top five and they are all interchangeable. But since I copped out last year I decided to buckle down and pick an order.

1. The King's Speech
Incredible performances and just an awesome true story that I was unfamiliar with. Colin Firth was completely successful at making you feel the frustrations of someone in his characters predicament, and he and Geoffrey Rush's scenes together were the most fun I had at the theater this year.

2. The Social Network
For having almost no interest in seeing it I sure did enjoy this film. Great direction, as always, from David Fincher, good writing, other than Rashida Jones' character who shouldn't even be in the movie, terrific score, and amazing acting by Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfield.

3. True Grit
Probably the funnest movie in my top 5. Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, and Hailee Steinfeld were all tremendous. The Coen brothers certainly infused some great comedy into this western and I just loved it.

4. Shutter Island
Here is my review on this film
http://westiemag.posterous.com/shutter-island-94

5. The Fighter
It's been awhile since we have heard from David O. Russell, but I would say he has only gotten better. This biopic is successful because of good writing, great acting (by Amy Adams, Melissa Leo, and even Mark Wahlberg), restrained direction, and a truly transformative performance by Christian Bale. I cannot say enough good things about his performance in this film, so I won't.

Posted via email from Film Harbour

No comments:

Post a Comment