What movie are you most excited for this fall/winter?

Monday, January 24, 2011

Quick Hits

Dinner For Schmucks 2.5/5

This is another example of a comedy with a great cast and people in charge that don't know what to do with them. There is no excuse for a comedy that features Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, Zach Galifianakis, and Jermaine Clement to not be very funny, if not hysterical. The last time I saw this much wasted talent in a comedy was in Jared Hess' Gentlemen Broncos. I would never imagined that it would be possible to make a movie that starred Jermaine Clement and Sam Rockwell suck.

 

The Town Extended Cut 3/5

I think that this version is almost 30 minutes longer than the theatrical and of all that extra footage I don't believe there was a single scene that I cared for. I wouldn't waste you time with the extended cut but I definitely recommend the theatrical version. This is a good example of the theatrical version being much better than the extended cut.

 

The Sword In The Stone 4/5

Some of the less popular Disney hand drawn films are personal favourites of mine because of growing up with them and my brother. This movie is very good and has a great message but I know part of why I like it so much is nostalgic.

 

The Crow 2/5

I can see how this movie could have been good when it was new, but it was a struggle for me to finish and that very rarely happens. If nothing else I'm glad it exists as a stepping stone for Alex Proyas.

 

The Sting 3.5/5

It was fun to see Robert Redford so young and Paul Newman is always good. Unfortunatley, due to how many films like this have been made since, I think it is unlikely to have the effect that it did when it was new. Most of todays movie goers are likely to see the twists a mile away and guess the ending before it even unfolds.

Posted via email from Film Harbour

No comments:

Post a Comment