What movie are you most excited for this fall/winter?

Sunday, February 26, 2012

My Favourite Films of 2012 (6-10)

P63

6. The Mill and the Cross
See my review here: http://westiemag.posterous.com/the-mill-and-the-cross

7. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
An engrossing an subtle spy movie with very little shooting or chase sequences. Actually this film and MI4 are two spy movies that are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum, but both of them completely work or me. Also the cast in this film is unreal: Tom Hardy, Colin Firth, Ciaran Hinds, Toby Jones, John Hurt, Mark Strong, and of course Gary Oldman. He is remarkable as George Smiley and I am so glad he finally got an Oscar nom, I just wish he was going to win.

8. Of Gods and Men
Another movie similar to The Mill and the Cross that deals with difficult questions that don't have easy answers, or perhaps even "correct" ones.

9. Midnight in Paris
Owen Wilson was cast so perfectly in this movie, and even though I went into it with low expectations (the plot synopsis did not interest me) I had a really good time with this film. I loved its message that even the people that live in the time and place that you long for are themselves pining for something different. That being said I can't imagine that the ending is anything but ironic.

10. Win Win
A really relatable film with modern and realistic problems, not everything needs to have as high of stakes as MI4. A movie with good, regular people an the slippery slopes of doing the wrong thing. Really great performances as well.

Posted via email from Film Harbour

No comments:

Post a Comment