What movie are you most excited for this fall/winter?

Monday, January 2, 2012

Top Five Tom Cruise Films

P95

Since the new Mission Impossible movie is out I've decided to do a Top Five list for Tom Cruise movies. Some time I'm going to get into my pet peeve of people disliking actors/actresses due to their personal life but for now I'm just going to get into my list.

1. Magnolia
I have to go with Cruise in his Oscar nominated perforce as Frank T.J. Mackey in Paul Thomas Anderson's third feature film. It is one of my favourite films and it is my favourite Tom Cruise performance.

2. Minority Report
Steven Spielberg is at the top of his game with this sci-fi thriller. Cruise also turns in a great performance. I'll just take a quote from Ebert's 4 star review: "This film is such a virtuoso high-wire act, daring so much, achieving it with such grace and skill. Minority Report reminds us why we go to the movies in the first place."

3. Eyes Wide Shut
The list of directors that Cruise has worked with is insane, but none may be more impressive than Stanley Kubrick (considered by many to be one of, if not the best director of all time). This is not a movie I can really recommend, due to content. I have only watched once myself and will likely never watch it again but it was quite intriguing and definitely drew me in.

4. Rain Man
Cruise and Dustin Hoffman are great together and this is a fun movie that also has a lot of heart.

5. Jerry Maguire
Show me the money! That's all I'm gonna say cause I want to go to bed.

A few more things:
My least favourite Cruise film: Top Gun
I'm ready to feel the wrath, I know lots of people love this movie but I just don't.

Great performance: Tropic Thunder
I loved Cruise in this movie. When I watched it I knew I recognized his voice right away but it took me a while to put it together. He was really funny, at least I thought so.

Let me know if you agree with me or tell me how wrong I am, I'm looking forward to it either way.

Posted via email from Film Harbour

No comments:

Post a Comment